Carbon Black Content Apparatus is used for determining carbon black content in polyethylene and polypropylene materials. It is calculated by getting the difference in weight before and after treatment in the apparatus.
Carbon black content of plastics test instruments consists of:-
- Electric Furnace, at least 20 cm (8 in.) long suitable for
use with the tubing
- Tubing,, 4 2.9 cm (1⁄8 in.) in diameter, approximately
twice as long as the furnace
- Stoppers—Two rubber or neoprene stoppers, to fit the
tube described in 4.2, unless the tube is fitted with ground
joints and mating connectors.
- Glass Tubing, 10-mm, of sufficient amount, and matching rubber or plastic tubing for connections.
- Combustion Boat, approximately 8 by 1.9 by 1.3 cm
(31⁄2 by 3⁄4 by 1⁄2 in.). Glazed porcelain, quartz high-silica glass,
or platinum is suitable.
NOTE 2—A loose-fitting cover for the combustion boat is optional. If
used, it shall be considered a part of the boat and handled and weighed
- Iron-Constantan Thermocouple, and a potentiometer or
millivoltmeter suitable for determining temperatures in the
range 300 to 700 C.
- Flow Meter, 5 suitable for measuring gas flow at rates of
1 to 10 L/min.
- Traps, three glass traps with removable ground-glass
connected heads and 10-mm diameter inner and connecting
ASTM D1603-14, IS 2530, IS 4984
Temperature Range: Room temp. to 1150 °C
Size: 6 X 6 X 6 inches
Inside apparatus is stainless steel and the outer side is mild steel
It is powder-coated
Power requirement is 230V, 50Hz, single phase
Accessories: Glass U tube, Rotometer, Desiccator, Combustion tube, Combustion boat, 1 rubber tube, 2 glass end caps, 3 glass traps.
It is supplied with 2 separate glass flasks.
It has a programmable P.I.D. temperature Controller
It has quartz glass which can resist high temperature
The heater uses low voltage which ensures the high validity of the furnace.