Carbon black content of plastics test instruments consists of:-
- Electric Furnace, at least 20 cm (8 in.) long suitable for
use with the tubing described in 4.2.
- Tubing,, 4 2.9 cm (1⁄8 in.) in diameter, approximately
twice as long as the furnace described in 4.1.
- Stoppers—Two rubber or neoprene stoppers, to fit the
tube described in 4.2, unless the tube is fitted with ground
joints and mating connectors.
- Glass Tubing, 10-mm, of sufficient amount, and matching rubber or plastic tubing for connections.
- Combustion Boat, approximately 8 by 1.9 by 1.3 cm
(31⁄2 by 3⁄4 by 1⁄2 in.). Glazed porcelain, quartz high-silica glass,
or platinum is suitable.
NOTE 2—A loose-fitting cover for the combustion boat is optional. If
used, it shall be considered a part of the boat and handled and weighed
- Iron-Constantan Thermocouple, and a potentiometer or
millivoltmeter suitable for determining temperatures in the
range 300 to 700 C.
- Flow Meter,, 5 suitable for measuring gas flow at rates of
1 to 10 L/min.
- Traps, three glass traps with removable ground-glass
connected heads and 10-mm diameter inner and connecting